04 October 2007

Yours for the Basking


Frahm, date unknown

Art Frahm (1907-1981) isn't really remembered as one of the most skilled pinup painters. Like many, he lived in Chicago and worked during the 40s and 50s. He was a devotee of Sundblom, like Elvgren and others. And he achieved a certain amount of notoriety--at least in this decade--because of his campy paintings of women whose panties have fallen down around their ankles.

But Frahm's skill in depicting beautiful women was limited to painting their figures. Their faces were usually stiff, expressionless, doll-like, not unlike Elvgren's earlier work with Dow.

I actually don't have any of those famed "panties falling down" images in my collection, partially because they're silly (and not in a good way) and partially because the artistry was never really there for me. This litho is an exception. The face still seems a bit plastic, but the overall image is very appealing. She's a classic pin-up girl.

Have you voted for my video today? Say YES to Sexy! Vote now!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I just found your blog from the gals over at Awesome and you really have something unique going on here, Brenda. I'm not a rabid pin-up fan, but you have such a wonderfully professional site here with some really interesting backstories and of course great pics too.

And I just voted for your video too. Best of luck!